Easy Instant Pot Chana Pulao Recipe (Chickpeas Rice )
Chana pulao is a one-pot spiced, fragrant and delish chickpea rice made with fragrant basmati rice, white chickpeas, coconut milk and bold spices. This Indian chickpea rice makes for a filling, comforting and satisfying meal.
This incredibly easy, delicious dish is perfect for a weeknight dinner and yet elegant enough to serve at a get together with guests. You can make this dish on the stovetop but I love making it in my Instant Pot.
I am using Organic Pure Basmati Rice by Bloom Organic. It is naturally gluten-free and vegetarian dish that everybody in my family loves and craves for every now and then!
- 2 cups long grain organic basmati rice
- 2 tbsp Ghee (or you can use any oil)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/3 inch piece ginger, crushed
- 1 large/2 small bay leaves
- ½ tsp whole black peppercorns
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1- inch piece cinnamon stick
- 5 whole cardamom
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp. Sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup beresta (fried onion)
I will keep it extremely simple for all of you to follow.
- Thoroughly wash the rice until the water comes out clear. Soak it in water for at least 30 minutes. Set aside.
- Turn on Instant Pot to high Sauté mode. Once it's hot enough add ghee. Add all the whole spices, stirring often, until fragrant.
- Add the garlic and ginger and sauté for another minute or until the raw smell disappears.
- Add chickpeas and mix for another minute.
- Add salt and sugar.
- Drain the soaked rice and add it to the Instant Pot along with 1 cup of water and 1 cup of coconut milk. Mix gently. Taste the water – it should be a little saltier.
- Cancel sauté mode. Cover and pressure-cook on high for 8 minutes. Let it naturally release for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Add fried onion and mix gently.
- Serve with any curry you like. Enjoy
1) If you don't have fried onion add onion slices with ginger garlic paste and fry till golden brown.
2) I added Pomegranate seeds for that extra burst of flavour but it is totally optional. Please do share your comments and pictures.
Recipe and Image submitted by: Momo Sengupta
Jaggery tea or Gur ki Chai is a traditional Indian tea made with jaggery and spices. Gur ki chai recipe is a popular tea variety made during winter. This tea has a deep earthy flavour from jaggery and tastes delicious. Let's learn how to make Gur Ki Chai or Jaggery Tea.