Homestyle Dudhi/Bottle Gourd - Lauki ki Sabzi
Lauki ki Sabzi
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp Bloom Organic mustard seed
- 1/2 tsp Bloom Organic cumin seed
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida hing
- 1/2 tsp Bloom Organic turmeric powder
- 500 gm bottle gourd washed, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1 potato washed, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp Bloom Organic red chili powder or as per spice level required
- 1/2 tsp Bloom Organic coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp Bloom Organic cumin powder
- 1 tsp Bloom Organic jaggery grated or sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- Lunn salt to taste
- coriander for garnishing
- In a pressure cooker or pan, heat ghee, to this add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and let it crackle. Add asafoetida (Hing) and turmeric powder.
- Add one chopped tomato. Sauté for a minute.
- Add chopped bottle gourd and potato.
- Add red chili powder, coriander-cumin powder, jaggery, and salt.
- Add a little water. (Do not add too much water as the bottle gourd releases water while cooking)
- Close the pressure cooker and cook for 4 whistles on high heat and 2 on low flame. If cooking in a pan, cover and cook for 15 mins on medium flame till vegetables are tender and all spices incorporated.
- Garnish with coriander and serve with piping hot Rotis and ghee.
- Wash the lauki first and then cut off each end to remove the stems before peeling. You can use a knife to remove the skin from the gourd, but I find a peeler is often easier to work with.
- Avoid bottle gourds that are soft or not a pale green in color.
- Cut the bottle gourd into four lengthwise strips before cutting into cubes, this makes it easier to remove large seeds and cut the gourd into roughly equal sizes.
- You can cut in roughly 1 or 2 inch cube sizes.
About the Contributor
This recipe is contributed by Ayurvedic Health Educator, Heena Desai. You can follow her on social media channel - @ojas_life where she talks about purity of food and healthy lifestyles.
Jaggery tea or Gur ki Chai is a traditional Indian tea made with jaggery and spices. Gur ki chai recipe is a popular tea variety made during winter. This tea has a deep earthy flavour from jaggery and tastes delicious. Let's learn how to make Gur Ki Chai or Jaggery Tea.