1 cup of kala chana yields enough for approximately 4 people
- 1 cup of Bloom Organic Kala Chana Whole
- 2 tablespoons ghee or butter
- ½ teaspoon Bloom Organic Cumin Whole
- 1 cup onions finely chopped
- ¾ inch ginger (grated finely)
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 cup of tomatoes (chopped finely or pureed)
- ¾ teaspoon Lunn Pink Rock Salt
- ½ teaspoon Bloom Organic Red Chilli Powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons Bloom Organic Turmeric Powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons Bloom Organic Coriander Powder
- 1 small lemon
1. Add 1 cup of the kala chana whole to large bowl and rinse well. Submerge completely in water and let soak overnight.
Kala Chana Curry:
1. Drain the soaked kala chana and rinse well. Place them in a pressure cooker.
2. Pour 1 ½ cups of water into the pressure cooker and cover. Cook on a medium flame until you hear 7
whistles. If they are still undercooked, pressure cook for 2-3 more whistles.
3. In a separate pot, heat ghee on a medium flame.
4. Next add cumin and cook until it darkens.
5. Add crushed ginger and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.
6. Add tomato and cook until it thickens.
7. Next stir in all powdered spices; turmeric, coriander powder, red chilli powder and pink rock salt.
8. Add the cooked kala chana to this mixture along with the leftover water.
9. Stir and pour more water as needed to make a gravy to desired consistency.
10. Simmer for another 15-20 minutes to thicken and adjust salt if needed.
11. Enjoy! This recipe pairs well with Bloom Organic Pure Basmati Rice.